Saturday, May 23, 2009

Sea Change

As of late I have been juggling a lot of things in my mind. Some of these thing are important and meaningful (at least to me), but most are about things like my inability to eat all the bananas that I buy before they turn brown. The latter are probably distractions from the former, but regardless, both the serious and the silly have been weighing on me. A common theme of all these things is also one of my favorite words, sea change. I suppose that's really two words but I am not one for semantics anyways.

As defined by the dictionary on my Mac, a sea change is "a profound or notable transformation". It originated in Shakespeare's Tempest:

Full fathom five thy father lies;
Of his bones are coral made;
Those are pearls that were his eyes:
Nothing of him that doth fade
But doth suffer a sea-change
Into something rich and strange.

I hope that as these thoughts of mine turn into actions, and these actions bring about transformations in myself and my life, all of them will be "rich and strange".

2 comments:

Neeks said...

Beck's 2002 album "Sea Change" might be right up your swan-path. This is maybe my favorite song on the album and is the only one with "sea change" in the lyrics: http://www.sing365.com/music/lyric.nsf/Little-One-lyrics-Beck/43B257DA13A22AF948256C5900269AE2

"In a seachange nothing is safe."

Get your life vest on.

My name is Patrick. said...

One of my favs, a good album for a rainy day.